Hands-on Start to Wolfram Mathematica and Programming with the Wolfram Language
For more than 30 years, Mathematica has been the principal computation environment for millions of innovators, educators, students and others around the world. This book is an introduction and provides a hands-on experience introducing the breadth of Mathematica and the Wolfram Language, with a focus on ease of use.
In the years since its original publication in 2015, Hands-on Start to Wolfram Mathematica has been translated into Chinese, Japanese and Korean to reach a wider audience. The book and its video series are the cornerstone of learning for individuals, courses and organizations' first use of Mathematica.
Third Edition September 2020
Trim Size: 7" x 10"
Non-Fiction: Computer Programming/Mathematical and Statistical Software
Distributed by Ingram, Amazon and Baker & Taylor
- Chapter 1: The Very Basics
- Chapter 2: A Sample Project in Mathematica
- Chapter 3: Input and Output
- Chapter 4: Word Processing and Typesetting
- Chapter 5: Presenting with Slide Shows
- Chapter 6: Fundamentals of the Wolfram Language
- Chapter 7: Creating Interactive Models with a Single Command
- Chapter 8: Wolfram|Alpha-Mode Notebooks New Chapter!
- Chapter 9: Sharing Mathematica Documents
- Chapter 10: Finding Help
- Chapter 11: 2D and 3D Graphics
- Chapter 12: Visualizing Data
- Chapter 13: Styling and Customizing Graphics
- Chapter 14: Creating Figures and Diagrams with Graphics Primitives
- Chapter 15: Algebraic Manipulation and Equation Solving
- Chapter 16: Calculus
- Chapter 17: Differential Equations
- Chapter 18: Linear Algebra
- Chapter 19: Probability and Statistics
- Chapter 20: Importing and Exporting Data
- Chapter 21: Data Filtering and Manipulation
- Chapter 22: Working with Curated Data
- Chapter 23: Using Wolfram|Alpha Data in Mathematica
- Chapter 24: Statistical Functionality for Data Analysis
- Chapter 25: Machine Learning and Neural Networks New Chapter!
- Chapter 26: Image Processing New Chapter!
- Chapter 27: Creating Programs
- Chapter 28: Creating Parallel and GPU Programs
Praise for Hands-on Start to Wolfram Mathematica
This book is the much-needed complement to existing support material for Mathematica in particular, and Wolfram technologies in general. It puts to rest, once and for all, the frequently heard claim that Mathematica is difficult and not accessible to the school and college levels of our computational universe.
Mathematica has had a transformative effect on my teaching and on student learning in all of my classes, from my lowest-level high-school honors chemistry classes to my most advanced classes in computational chemistry, computational medicinal chemistry and scientific programming.
About the Authors
Cliff Hastings has been at Wolfram Research since 1997. After graduating summa cum laude with a bachelor's degree in mathematics from Monmouth College, he joined Wolfram as an evangelist aboard the MathMobile, traveling the country training people to use Mathematica. As the author of the original "Hands-on Start to Mathematica" video series, his passion has always been helping people get started with Mathematica.
Kelvin Mischo is a Wolfram certified instructor and works at Wolfram Research overseeing strategic relationships with academic organizations in North America. After learning Mathematica as a student at the University of Illinois, Kelvin joined Wolfram in 1998 to work with high schools on the integration of Mathematica into their courses. Kelvin has given hundreds of technical seminars and trainings on Mathematica to high schools, two-year colleges and universities.
Michael Morrison joined Wolfram Research in 2005 after completing a bachelor's degree in computer science and mathematics from Illinois Wesleyan University and a master's degree in mathematics from Illinois State University. While at Wolfram, Michael has held a variety of positions, ranging from the technical education of internal staff to using Mathematica for data analysis and reporting initiatives.
- Title: HANDS-ON START TO WOLFRAM MATHEMATICA AND PROGRAMMING WITH THE WOLFRAM LANGUAGE
- Authors: Cliff Hastings, Kelvin Mischo and Michael Morrison
- Paperback: $39.95 561 pages
- eBook: $29.95 561 pages
- Publisher: Wolfram Media, Inc.
Publication Date: Third Edition September 2020,
First Edition 2015
- ISBN-13: 978-1-57955-037-0 (paperback)
- ISBN-13: 978-1-57955-038-7 (Kindle)